Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Currency Exchange Rate - Singapore Dollar (SGD) vs Mallaysian Ringgit (MYR) And My Regret

Beautiful view of Singapore's colorful skyline from Marina Barrage at dusk. (Pic taken by papaja2008 from freedigitalphotos.net)


The second time when I toured the Republic of Singapore with my classmates 41 years ago, I could get one Singapore Dollar for every Malaysian Ringgit at a money changer.

I worked as an Engineer for Italian and American multinational companies in the city state for 8 years before I returned for good 20 years ago. On hindsight, my returning to my home country was one of the biggest mistakes I had ever made in my life. On the very last day of leaving Singapore, the Ringgit was traded at around RM2.20 to the Singapore Dollar .

With my mom and niece by the Singapore river in 1990
At the time of writing, the Malaysian Ringgit has plunged to an all-time historical low against the Singapore Dollar; i.e. RM2.75 to the Singapore Dollar. Look at this transactions at a money changer:



The left was a receipt dated today (June 10th, 2015) and the right dated 4 days ago.

I urge those Malaysians who are holding Singapore professional passes and Singapore permanent residents not to return to your home country, which I think is hopeless. Stay put and bring up your family in this clean, prosperous, very well-managed, corruption-free and technically-advanced country called Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment